I think we can all agree that the last few years have had one thing in common- our immune system. There are so many facets to our immune system as it is just that, a system. I wanted to do a high level overview into what we do in our house to keep our immune system in tip-top shape and what we use when we feel an ailment coming on.
Knock on wood- we are rarely sick. I haven’t been sick since 2019 (and it’s January 2023). Even after going to New Zealand in March 2020 before the world lost it’s mind or spending 60 days in Tanzania in July / August / September 2021.
*I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice
What Is The Immune System and How Does It Work?
Human beings have three different types of immunity: innate, adaptive, and passive
- Innate: Everyone is born with natural immunity as a general protector. For example: skin acts as a barrier to block germs from entering the body
- Adaptive (active): develops throughout our lives. We develop this when we’re exposed to diseases and/or when immunized with vaccines
- Passive: “borrowed” immunity IE antibodies in breast milk that gives baby temporary immunity
When the body senses antigens (foreign substances), the immune system works to recognize the antigens to rid the body of them.
B lymphocytes are triggered to make antibodies. These proteins lock onto specific antigens. After they’re made, antibodies usually stay in our bodies in case we have to fight the same germ again. That’s why someone who gets sick with a disease, like chickenpox, usually won’t get sick from it again.
Although antibodies can recognize an antigen and lock onto it, they can’t destroy it without help. That’s the job of the T cells. They destroy antigens tagged by antibodies or cells that are infected or somehow changed. These specialized cells and parts of the immune system offer the body protection against disease. This protection is called immunity.
Our gut also plays a pivotal role in our immune system as 70-80% of immune cells being present in the gut, there is an intricate interplay between the intestinal microbiota, the intestinal epithelial layer, and the local mucosal immune system
Vitamins / Foods to Improve Immunity
- Vitamin A
- Stimulates the production and activity of white blood cells (antiviral and anti-tumor cells)
- Maintains and strengthens epithelial tissues and mucous membranes — the body’s first line of defense against pathogens
- Vitamin B6
- Supports the production of antibodies
- Enhances white blood cells
- Vitamin C
- Because your body cannot make vitamin C, it must come from the foods you eat every day
- Research shows vitamin C is essential for the growth and repair of tissue all over the body
- Folate Acid
- Important in red blood cell formation and for healthy cell growth and function
- Assists in the formation of T-cell production that are needed to fight off pathogens
- Helps lower oxidative stress in your body, which reduces inflammation and enhances immunity
- Studies have demonstrated that increased blood levels of selenium are associated with enhanced immune response
- An “anti-stress” vitamin because it may strengthen the immune system and improve the body’s ability to withstand stressful conditions
- Supports the growth and normal functioning of immune cells, even a mild or moderate deficiency can slow down the activity of lymphocytes, neutrophils, and macrophages that protect the body from viruses and bacteria
Supplements / Products
- A powerful blend of vitamins and minerals formulated to boost the immune system.
- Promotes overall wellness to help combat seasonal sickness
- 13 vegetable and fruit sources with 75 servings per tub
- Superfood formula packed with vitamins and minerals to support overall health
- Reds and Purples
- Superfood blend packed with 16 different sources of organic colorful fruits to support overall health and wellness
- Added digestive enzymes improve digestive health and nutrient absorption
- Full spectrum daily vitamin meeting RDA (recommended daily allowance)
- Designed to maximize nutrient absorption and bioavailability
- Added antioxidants to boost the immune system, jumpstart energy levels, and improve digestive and cognitive functions
- Colloidal Silver
- Boost your immune system, ease chest congestion, and treat or prevent viral infections like the common cold or COVID-19
- Homeopath Box (code SARAHBOWMAR for 10% off)
- Each kit contains 20 of the most commonly prescribed homeopathic medicines for acute ailments. The remedies in this kit are of the 200C potency
- Provide antioxidant support to help fight free radicals in the body and to protect cells from oxidative damage
- Lymph Cream
- As our body’s natural “vacuum,” the lymphatic system gathers up dead cells, bacteria, and more. It eliminates all the junk when it’s working properly. However, our lymphatic system doesn’t have a natural pump so sometimes fluid gets stuck
- Encourages healthy digestion, strengthens your immune defenses, and reduces unwanted bloating
- Engineered to promote better absorption of vitamins and minerals in the digestive tract
- Contains eight different strains of probiotics with 20 billion live cultures (per capsule) that foster a balanced gut.
- Removes toxins from your colon and improves regularity
- Packed with clinical doses of psyllium husk and Fibserol® non-GMO soluble corn fiber to ensure the best results
- Includes both types of fiber: soluble and insoluble
- Colon Cleanse
- Powerful gut repairing capsules that improve colon health
- Relieves the body of bloating, gas, and constipation
- Promotes regularity and healthy digestion by naturally cleansing the body of toxins
- By promoting the health of the gut lining, collagen essentially also improves your gut health—and, in turn, your immune system
- Fermented Foods
- Weight Training
- Adequate Sleep
- Proper Stress Management
Sources: https://kidshealth.org/en/parents/immune.html https://health.ucdavis.edu/blog/good-food/5-immune-boosters-to-help-keep-you-healthy-amid-covid-19-outbreak/2020/01