In a world of some information at our finger tips, it can be extremely overwhelming for a new mom. Especially given how many friends and family members also want to give input on bringing a new baby home and all of their tips and tricks. While everyone means well, it certainly can be information overload for someone near the end of pregnancy or right as they are bringing a new baby home. I wanted to compile all of my tips / favorites / baby must haves into one place so that if you are looking for that one little tip or product that could make a huge difference, you don’t have to look any further!
I purposely didn’t make my “tips” section product heavy as you can view the products we use and recommend on my other various blogs. I just wanted to provide some random tips that I have been taking note of since having Dean! Additionally, I have a free prenatal and postpartum fitness guide on the homepage of my blog if you are looking for that kind of content as well!
- When registering, you can use the service “Baby List” to compile a list of items from a ton of different websites! You don’t have to register at multiple places- plus the service is free!
- I found with Oakley and Dean, we used three packets of newborn diapers before moving to size one. There’s no need to stock up on a ton of NB sizes as they go through them so quickly! If you are shopping for diapers for a new mom, stick with size 1 or 2 as so many people tend to buy the NB sizes as gifts!
- Utilize a diaper delivery service to make life a little less crazy! We get ours delivered every five weeks plus they have wipes, shampoo, conditioner, lotion, etc that can be delivered right to your doorstep
- Both of my children absolutely hated being swaddled with their arms by their sides. Sleep is something I am extremely passionate about as I am a Baby Led certified sleep practitioner. I am so grateful I discovered arms up swaddles during the first week of Oakley’s life as she loved having her hands by her face and Dean is the exact same way
- If baby is ever fussy at night, getting in the bath is a sure fire way to calm them down. I wish I had learned with Oakley to just get in the tub with her instead of filling up a baby tub. It is such a special bonding moment too. I know not everyone has a tub in their home so I linked all the bath items we used with Oakley down below
- If you follow my Sky Sleep Instagram page, you know how much I talk about (and emphasize) the importance of Vitamin D and sleep with babies. Getting outside and getting your kids (and you) into the sun, will put everyone in a better mood and everyone will sleep better. I do 15 minutes of sunlight every 3 hours on Dean as I don’t use sunscreen on him (he is only one month old). If you’d like to read more about Vitamin D and sleep, I suggest following along here. If you have a winter baby or live somewhere without a lot of sun during portions of the year, supplementing with Vitamin D drops is critical!
- Regular chiropractic care for a newborn can help in many ways, from colic to sleep to teething to baby gas / constipation, I highly recommend considering getting your baby adjusted. Each of our children were adjusted within the first five days of life and then every 3-4 weeks after. You can tell a huge difference in their sleep and mood after an adjustment. Oakley also was favoring looking one way while sleeping and with regular adjustments, she was 50/50 on laying left and right while sleeping
- Magnesium lotion can help tremendously when it comes to baby’s sleep (and parents can use it too, my rest leg syndrome was awful the first month following birth and this lotion helped a ton. You can order here and simply search “good night lotion” (MUST BE TWO WORDS)
- Something we learned at our chiropractor is how important tummy massages are for gas. I like to use lotion (mentioned above), at the end of the day and massage clockwise to release any gas
Blogs of Interest
- Newborn to Toddler Bath Setup
- Oakley’s Favorite Books
- Baby Led Weaning
- Leaps and Milestones
- Oakley’s Sleep Schedule + Tips
- Dean’s Sleep Schedule
- Oakley’s Favorite Toys
- Nursery Favorites
- Baby Favorites
- Parenting Books
- Pregnancy 1
- Pregnancy 2
- Plus a ton of travel content under “The Kids” section of my blog
As always, I truly appreciate you reading this blog! The links above are affiliate links and I do earn a small commission which allows me to continue to write my blogs and keep it completely ad free!