I have been using our red light for almost two years, and Josh and I have both experienced incredible benefits! There’s a ton of information out there and a lot of companies that sell red light machines (and places you can go to). All red light devices are not created equal, and I believe you get what you pay for. We are blessed to have two medical-grade and patented machines (from the same company) at home that allow us to do our red light whenever we want from home. The company we work with has a variety of sizes and a payment plan/financing option if you are interested!
Full disclosure- we are full-paying customers and purchased both devices at full price. I am now an affiliate of the company and earn a small commission on any sales used with my affiliate link. I wouldn’t be sharing this product if I didn’t believe in it. A lot of this blog’s content is also from their website.
Why Red Light?
Light is essential for our health and cellular function, just like water, sleep, and the nutrients from food. The human body is designed to function with an abundance of natural sunlight, but with our modern lifestyles, most people don’t get nearly enough light every day. The average American spends over 90% of their time indoors.  That’s not nearly enough natural light for optimal health and balance! Worse yet, much of the time we spend indoors is filled with bright blue light from screens and overhead lighting, which can have a negative effect on sleep and circadian rhythms.
Bottom line: everyone needs healthy light, but most people don’t get enough. Instead, they get way too much blue light, resulting in worse sleep and overall health.
Light Therapy Delivers Healthy Light in Your Home
Light therapy is an easy way to add healthy light to your life in the comfort of your home at any time of day, no matter the weather or season. An in-home light therapy device like Joovv treats your body with red and near-infrared (NIR) wavelengths of light, delivered directly to your skin and cells. Check out this video to see how a Joovv treatment impacts the cells in your body.
- Enhanced Cellular Function and ATP Energy Production: In conjunction with a healthy lifestyle, light therapy treatments can have systemic benefits because they work by improving cellular health across the entire body. When your cells are working more efficiently and producing more ATP energy, the better you can look and feel. Learn more about cellular function, mitochondria, ATP energy, and light therapy here.
- Inflammation and Pain Relief: Light therapy treatments help your body’s natural inflammation process as you recover from illness or injury. Check out this paper by Dr. Michael Hamblin of Harvard Medical School to learn more about red light therapy’s effects on inflammation. Dr. Hamblin is one of the world’s leading photomedicine researchers, and believes light therapy produces an “overall reduction in inflammation.”  Read more details about inflammation, strain, and light therapy here.
- Red light therapy also supports arthritis and joint pain relief by improving blood flow to damaged tissues.
- Improved Blood Flow: One of the potential benefits of light therapy is a significant increase in blood circulation following treatment sessions. This indicates tissues are receiving more oxygen and other nutrients that are important for healing. At the same time, light helps the body and circulatory system rid itself of toxic byproducts.  Learn more about circulation and light therapy here.
- Sleep Optimization: Healthy light intake is essential for sleep and maintaining natural circadian rhythms. Our brains interpret light as a sign of when to be awake and asleep and when to make crucial sleep hormones like melatonin. Bright blue light at night can knock your sleep cycle out of whack, but red light is a lower-intensity alternative that can help support longer, more restful sleep. [4,5,6] Joovv designed Ambient mode especially to support sleep and circadian rhythms. Learn more about circadian rhythms and light here.
- Recovery, Healing, and Performance: Light therapy is widely used by trainers and pro athletes to improve fitness, boost physical performance, and support the recovery process. Muscle cells require a great deal of energy, and grow and strengthen through a process of tears and repairs. Light therapy helps your body produce and use energy more efficiently. Supporting circulation and inflammation reduction with light therapy can also help you heal and recover after injuries and workouts.  Joovv’s unique Recovery+ mode is designed to optimize the body’s natural recovery process. Learn more about recovery, performance, and light therapy here, and see the pro athletes and teams using Joovv here.
- Skin Health and Beauty: Taking in healthy light is crucial for skin cells, skin health, and beauty. Red and NIR light promotes balance across the body and skin by enhancing cellular respiration, making energy production more efficient, with less oxidative stress. [8,9] When your cells are in greater balance, your skin will look and feel softer and more invigorated. Learn more about skin health and light therapy here.
- Mental Acuity: Mental acuity measures how well your brain processes and responds in the moment. When shined on the head, NIR wavelengths of light can reach brain cells and stimulate the mitochondria in the body’s central processing center.  This can improve cellular energy production, enhance blood flow, and support better mental acuity. Learn more about mental acuity, brain health, and light therapy here.
How and When
- All you have to do is stand or sit in front of your red light for the duration based on your equipment.
- It can be done morning or night- find what works best for you (I prefer to do mine in the morning as soon as I wake up). If you are doing it at night and finding it hard to fall asleep, switch to mornings
- The smaller devices (go and mini) are great for target areas, and you need 10 minutes per area.
- Stand-alone devices (for rooms with a lot of space) with full body treatment in 20 minutes
- Door and wall attachments (for rooms with less space) with full body treatment in 20 minutes
- We own the mini and the elite 3.0 (Josh is 6’3, and I am 5’3; it covers him completely)
- Of course, we can all say that we FEEL a difference (I do) with red light, but actually, to SEE a difference is another thing. In 2022, Josh’s truck caught fire at one of our farms. His shoulder was severely burned, peeling, and the skin was dying. He sat in front of our red light for 30-45 minutes a day for weeks, and the scar is non-existent.
- Search over 1,000 published medical journals.