My 7 Tips
- Match Your Home
- Just like us, babies like feeling comfort. Bringing all of their normal bedtime items from home is a critical in ensuring your are setting yourself up for a successful home away from home
- Some items we always bring with:
- Use a Monitor
- If you aren’t going to a hotel, I highly recommend bringing an easy 2 way monitor to set up (in case you use one at home that runs on WiFi). It’s never a guarantee to have good internet when you travel so we always just bring a very simple monitor
- Time Zone Tips
- I always plan flights around naps and bedtimes. The biggest time zone difference Oakley has been through is 5 hours to Hawaii when she was 6 months old and 4 hours when she was 9 months old. I do my absolute best to keep her on her regular schedule, so if bedtime is at 6pm, I have her go down at 6pm in our new time zone. It usually takes a day for her to adjust but pushing bedtimes and naps to keep everything as consistent as it is at home- the better they will adjust!
- Ask About a Fridge and Microwave
- If we are going to hotel, I always call ahead for at least a fridge and microwave for baby food
- Call Hotel for Crib or Pack and Play
- Most hotels have the option to use their crib or pack and play while you are there. If you are driving and have the room, I recommend just bringing your own. Sometimes it can take some time to get it up to your room. Luckily we have never had any issues with getting a crib or pack and play when we fly but the peace of mind knowing you have it is worth packing it.
- Bathroom Baby
- Babies sleep best in the pitch black. If you are in a hotel room, keeping the hotel room black once the baby falls asleep isn’t always the easiest thing. Most hotels, if you call ahead of time, will book you in a larger room if you ask to accommodate getting the crib in the bathroom. This allows you to still work, watch TV, etc while the baby sleeps
- Consider a Suite
- While this isn’t always an option, traveling with a baby does increase the need for additional space in a hotel room
I hope these tips help with any travel you have scheduled for you and baby! Full disclosure- I do make a small commission on the links listed above. I prefer to keep my blog ad free and support through shopping my links helps me do just that! Also, all commissions earned go directly into Oakley’s college fund!